Amazon’s Alexa is at the forefront of intelligent virtual assistants. There doesn’t appear to be anything Alexa can’t do. Among the many things Alexa can do, one of the most popular is to stream music from your favourite artists.
Alexa allows you to connect to various music services such as Amazon Music, Spotify, Apple Music, Vevo, SiriusXM, and others to seamlessly stream music to your device.
Personally, I enjoy listening to music on SoundCloud. As a result, I wanted to see if Alexa could stream from SoundCloud.
Do you want to know “How To Play SoundCloud On Alexa?” SoundCloud music can be played on your Alexa device via Bluetooth or by using an Alexa Skill.
Use Of SoundCloud With Alexa
Using SoundCloud with Alexa is more complicated than simply asking Alexa to play music.SoundCloud, unlike other music streaming services such as Amazon Music, Spotify, or Apple Music, is not part of the Amazon ecosystem. This means that, while Amazon Music can be played on multiple Alexa devices, SoundCloud is a little more difficult. However, because Bluetooth is available, you can stream almost anything to your Alexa device, including SoundCloud. You can also create an Alexa Skill that allows you to stream from SoundCloud to your device.
Alexa Bluetooth Pairing With Mobile Phones
You can stream SoundCloud to your Alexa device by pairing your smartphone with your Alexa via Bluetooth and then playing SoundCloud on your smartphone, similar to how you would use a Bluetooth speaker.
There are two simple ways to accomplish this. One method is to pair your smartphone directly:
- Check that your Alexa device is turned on. To put the device in pairing mode, say “Alexa, pair.”
- Turn on Bluetooth on your smartphone and navigate to the Bluetooth settings. Look for nearby devices and locate your Alexa device among the others that appear.
- Simply click on your Alexa device, and the two devices will establish a connection. Furthermore, Alexa will announce that the connection or Bluetooth pairing is settled up.
Now there’s another method you can use to pay your Alexa with a smartphone via Bluetooth:
- Launch the Alexa app.
- Go to ‘Devices,’ then ‘Echo & Alexa.’ This menu contains the name of your Alexa device. Select it to access the Alexa device’s settings page.
- Find the ‘Pair Alexa Gadget’ option and select it.
- Now, open your smartphone, activate Bluetooth, and navigate to the Bluetooth settings. Using the same steps as before, locate your Alexa device in the list of nearby available devices and select it to connect to it. Once your phone is connected, Alexa will confirm it.
You don’t need to pair your smartphone with your Alexa device again once you’ve done so.
Simply keep your smartphone’s Bluetooth turned on and say, “Alexa, connect to [device name].”
It’s just as easy to disconnect. Simply ask Alexa to disconnect rather than connect.
However, if you unpair your smartphone at any point, you will have to start the pairing process all over again.
To play music from SoundCloud after pairing the devices, simply play the music on your smartphone and listen to it stream on your Alexa device.
Pairing Of Alexa Bluetooth With a Laptop or Computer
As you can pair Alexa Bluetooth with mobile phones, the same you can do it with computers and laptops as well. Here we will tell you about the steps to follow for connecting Alexa with Computers or Laptops:
- Go to your computer’s settings and enable Bluetooth.
- Log in to your Amazon account at alexa.amazon.com.
- After logging in, go to ‘Settings’ and select the name of your Alexa device from the list. This will take you to your Alexa device’s settings page.
- Select ‘Bluetooth’ and then ‘Pair a New Device.’ It will display a list of nearby available computers from which you must select your computer.
- You will receive a notification on your computer asking for permission to pair. When you agree to this, your computer will be linked to your Alexa device.
The pairing process, like connecting via smartphone, is only required the first time.
After that, you can connect directly by telling Alexa to connect to your computer.
Use Of Alexa Skills
Another way to get your Alexa device to stream SoundCloud is to create a custom skill that will enable SoundCloud and Alexa compatibility.
This method is more involved than simply opening the Alexa app and making a few simple settings changes.
It is necessary to have some technical knowledge about how the Alexa Developer Console works, and it may be a little complicated for beginners to fully understand.
You can create an Alexa skill by following these steps:
- Online, you can find an Alexa skill template. These are excellent starting points for developing custom skills, and many can be found on platforms such as Dabble Lab or Github. This one is called Magic Jukebox.
- When you’ve found a template that works for you, save the source code to your computer.
- Log in to your account at developer.amazon.com. If you’re making a new one, use the same email address as the one associated with your Alexa device. This is necessary so that you can test the skill using your Alexa device.
- Choose the ‘Create Skill’ option. Give the skill a name and then choose ‘Custom Model.’
- To host the skill, select the ‘Create Skill’ option on the top right side of your skill once more. This procedure will take a few minutes.
- When the skill is finished, open the ‘JSON Editor’ and paste the JSON code for model interaction from the template you downloaded earlier. When you’re finished, save and build the model.
- Next, select ‘Interfaces’ and turn on ‘Audio Player.’
- Locate and navigate to the ‘Code’ tab at the top of the screen. Replace the code in the index file with the code from the index file in the template you downloaded.
- Locate the object in the code that is in charge of creating a streaming instance. This will necessitate some programming knowledge as well as a thorough examination of the code documentation.
- Once you’ve located the object, change the target URL to point to the location where you want to stream music, which is SoundCloud. You can also include custom images and text that will appear on devices with screens.
- Save and run the code.
- Finally, go to the ‘Test’ tab and change ‘Skill Testing is Enabled in:’ to ‘Development’ to enable skill testing.
If you followed all of the steps correctly, your Alexa device should now be able to play SoundCloud music.
While it is not possible to directly stream music from SoundCloud, there are workarounds we have demonstrated. We hope now your query has been resolved regarding “How To Play SoundCloud On Alexa?” So enjoy music and have fun.
Magic Jukebox was an official Alexa Skill that enabled this. You can, however, use it unofficially by creating a Custom Alexa Skill with the original source code.
Also Read: How To Change Playlist Name On SoundCloud?
Emily Vance is an author, publisher, and social media marketer from the United States. She has written multiple books on social media marketing, and her work has been featured in some of the world's top publications. Emily is also a well-known speaker on the topic of social media marketing and has given talks at numerous conferences around the world.